It's Martin Luther King day today and this morning I read some inspiring quotes on Seth Godin's Blog: Straight up.
"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can't ride you unless your back is bent."
Martin Luther King, Jr.
And a few more thoughts, from one of the greatest men of my lifetime:
“On some positions, Cowardice asks the question, "Is it safe?" Expediency asks the question, "Is it politic?" And Vanity comes along and asks the question, "Is it popular?" But Conscience asks the question "Is it right?" And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must do it because Conscience tells him it is right.”
. . .
“We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.”
. . .
“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.”
Courtesy of Seth Godin.
Here are some other Martin Luther King Quotes:
1. “No work is insignificant. All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”
2. “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.”
3. “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.”
4. “Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.”
5. “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”
6. “The time is always right to do the right thing.”
7. “Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude.”
8. “Faith is taking the first step even when you can’t see the whole staircase.”
9. “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
10. “Only in the darkness can you see the stars.”
11. “No person has the right to rain on your dreams.”
12. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
Thank you for visiting this blog. If you'd like to subscribe after
viewing this article, there are links on the right hand side of the page
- and if you liked a post please leave a comment! If you'd like to
connect on one of the social networking sites you can write to me at Facebook and you can also inbox me via my Google+ profile.